OpEx DaaS is good for for SMB: small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) often face challenges in managing their IT infrastructure and resources due to limited budgets and in-house expertise. One way to address these challenges is by using subscription-based operational expenditure (OpEx) services such as Desktop as a Service (DaaS).
“Cloud Computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction.”
– NIST definition of Cloud Computing
DaaS is a cloud-based service that provides SMBs with virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) on a subscription basis. This allows SMBs to access and use desktop environments and applications from any device, anywhere, anytime. DaaS providers typically handle the maintenance, updates, and support for the virtual desktop infrastructure, which can help SMBs save on IT costs and resources.
There are several reasons why OpEx subscription services like DaaS are preferable to amortization of infrastructure as capital expenditure (CapEx) for SMBs:
- Flexibility: DaaS provides SMBs with the flexibility to scale their IT infrastructure and resources up or down based on their changing needs. This can be especially useful for businesses that experience seasonal fluctuations in demand or are undergoing rapid growth.
- Cost-effectiveness: With DaaS, SMBs only pay for what they use, which can help them save on upfront costs and ongoing maintenance expenses. This can be a more cost-effective option compared to amortizing the cost of purchasing and maintaining on-premises infrastructure over time.
- Simplicity: DaaS simplifies IT management for SMBs by providing a single point of contact for support and maintenance. This can help SMBs save on in-house IT resources and focus on their core business activities.
- Security: DaaS providers typically have robust security measures in place to protect data and ensure compliance with industry regulations. This can provide SMBs with peace of mind and help them avoid costly data breaches or regulatory fines.
- Accessibility: DaaS enables SMBs to access their desktop environments and applications from any device, anywhere, anytime. This can improve productivity and collaboration, especially for businesses that have a distributed workforce or rely on remote access.
In summary, subscription-based OpEx services like DaaS can provide SMBs with the flexibility, cost-effectiveness, simplicity, security, and accessibility they need to manage their IT infrastructure and resources effectively. These benefits make OpEx services a preferable option to amortization of infrastructure as CapEx for SMBs.